As entrepreneurs or managers, we shouldn’t forget that our most important capital is our employees! We want our employees to enjoy the work environment and do their best every day. It pays off in many ways to encourage our employees to embrace fitness as a lifestyle choice!
1. Fit workers are less likely to get sick. A physically fit person is generally more resistant to “lurking bugs” than an unfit person. Less absenteeism and lower health spending are the result of a favorable employee base.
2. Fit workers have more energy. One of the many benefits of exercising regularly is increased and sustained energy throughout the day. This energy enables the employee to focus on the task being delivered and to get the most out of each task.
3. Fit employees have more self-confidence. A fit and healthy person tends to have a high level of self-confidence because they have proven to themselves that they can achieve a certain level of physical fitness. This confidence enables the employee to challenge themselves and strive for greater success in the workplace.
4. Fit employees create trust. A person who maintains a high level of fitness tends to be someone that others trust.
5. Fit employees tend to take on more leadership roles. Because of the many positive benefits of a lifestyle, a fit person is usually a good leader.
6. Involve employees and achieve goals. Exceptional fitness often requires a person to set and achieve goals related to their own fitness. Learning to stick to and achieve your goals is a skill that is taken for granted in the workplace. An employee with a proven ability to set aggressive goals and then ACHIEVE them is a valuable asset to any business.
7. Fit employees tend to have better attitudes. Fit workers “often feel good”. They tend to have a physical and mental “balance” that leads to a more positive attitude at work.
8. Fit workers are less stressful. Regular exercise releases the physical AND emotional tensions that life brings with it, so a fit worker tends to experience less stress than an employee who does not exercise regularly.
9. A cheap employee base provides excellent team building opportunities. Team activities like softball or tennis are great ways for employees to take their professional relationships to the next level and discover new ways to work together. Obviously, employees who maintain a certain level of fitness are more likely to participate in these activities.
10. The promotion of fitness is a concern for the well-being of the employees and it pays off! NOTE when an employer has concerns about the health and wellbeing of its employees through various wellness programs. In addition, employee turnover is significantly lower for employees who benefit from their employer’s wellness program.